its been quite a journey nstalling kubuntu on overpowered's LP3 (17" model).
Few notes:
* battery is low and graphics card is power hungry. It is BIG and if it may not be what you want given usually, one wants a sleek laptop with good monitor and long battery.
* however, otherwise, its fine.
nvidia drivers are buggy on linux. Man, its been ages and things never seem to improve.
So, once you install kubuntu, nvidia would eat up lots of IRQs and given, you , in all your wisdom, have chosen a power hungry laptop anyways. You would see your laptop uptime on battery nosedive.
So, I ended up purging nvidia and nouveau. little did I know that laptop shall not function correctly, specifically, it would simply hang up on pressing login button. ctrl+alt+f* wouldnt work. simply, you are stuck.
I went to recovery mode, however, I had accidentally disabled wifi button, so, networking didnt come up. and laptop keypad doesnt show if wifi is down.
so, googling landed me on few related posts which I am summarizing, for myself primarily, because its pretty frustrating to lose out on precious time.
https://connorkuehl.github.io/dell-inspiron-7559-linux-guide/
* download iso
* prepare usb
* on laptop -> bios
* UEFI should be enabled, it other os is uefi installed. so should be kubuntu
* secure boot should be disabled
* check boot order so that laptop boots from usb first
* install kubuntu
* create partitions
* install boot into where other os's boot is installed (if ssd, it would be ssd)
* if( laptop hangs on restarting ):
* laptop might have nvidia card, launch os through usb by editing the grub launch arguments (quiet splash -> no
modeset)
* after installation and restart, laptop might go into windows still. go into OS via usb -> 'try kubuntu'
* download boot-repair and launch. It ll ask to upload logs into pastebin, the last line of the log ll tell you
to login into windows and use bcdedit to select grub bootloader as default.
* do bcdedit if need be
* sometimes, even bcdedit was not enabling grub
* `mountvol z: /s` to mount EFI partition and delete `\EFI\ubuntu` and redo `boot-repair`. It should work.
another upgrade issue: after upgrading to 19.04, restarting, grub vanished. tried all above but couldnt succeed. went to bios -> boot -> selected ubuntu as the first bootloader (windows was selected earlier). rebooted -> bingo !
suspend/resume issue:
i2c_hid module is buggy. A gentleman told me to unload it before suspend and load it after resume. I did it at /lib/systemd/system-sleep/i2chid.sh
details in the thread https://www.win-raid.com/t4232f16-SOLVED-How-to-unlock-BIOS-options-of-rebranded-TONGFANG-chassis-systems-11.html#msg70435
Also, the GPU can be disabled on boot. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/78is1r/complete_disable_of_discrete_gpu/
now, battery is good, suspend/resume is good. laptop is good and I am good.
Few notes:
* battery is low and graphics card is power hungry. It is BIG and if it may not be what you want given usually, one wants a sleek laptop with good monitor and long battery.
* however, otherwise, its fine.
nvidia drivers are buggy on linux. Man, its been ages and things never seem to improve.
So, once you install kubuntu, nvidia would eat up lots of IRQs and given, you , in all your wisdom, have chosen a power hungry laptop anyways. You would see your laptop uptime on battery nosedive.
So, I ended up purging nvidia and nouveau. little did I know that laptop shall not function correctly, specifically, it would simply hang up on pressing login button. ctrl+alt+f* wouldnt work. simply, you are stuck.
I went to recovery mode, however, I had accidentally disabled wifi button, so, networking didnt come up. and laptop keypad doesnt show if wifi is down.
so, googling landed me on few related posts which I am summarizing, for myself primarily, because its pretty frustrating to lose out on precious time.
https://connorkuehl.github.io/dell-inspiron-7559-linux-guide/
* download iso
* prepare usb
* on laptop -> bios
* UEFI should be enabled, it other os is uefi installed. so should be kubuntu
* secure boot should be disabled
* check boot order so that laptop boots from usb first
* install kubuntu
* create partitions
* install boot into where other os's boot is installed (if ssd, it would be ssd)
* if( laptop hangs on restarting ):
* laptop might have nvidia card, launch os through usb by editing the grub launch arguments (quiet splash -> no
modeset)
* after installation and restart, laptop might go into windows still. go into OS via usb -> 'try kubuntu'
* download boot-repair and launch. It ll ask to upload logs into pastebin, the last line of the log ll tell you
to login into windows and use bcdedit to select grub bootloader as default.
* do bcdedit if need be
* sometimes, even bcdedit was not enabling grub
* `mountvol z: /s` to mount EFI partition and delete `\EFI\ubuntu` and redo `boot-repair`. It should work.
another upgrade issue: after upgrading to 19.04, restarting, grub vanished. tried all above but couldnt succeed. went to bios -> boot -> selected ubuntu as the first bootloader (windows was selected earlier). rebooted -> bingo !
suspend/resume issue:
i2c_hid module is buggy. A gentleman told me to unload it before suspend and load it after resume. I did it at /lib/systemd/system-sleep/i2chid.sh
details in the thread https://www.win-raid.com/t4232f16-SOLVED-How-to-unlock-BIOS-options-of-rebranded-TONGFANG-chassis-systems-11.html#msg70435
Also, the GPU can be disabled on boot. https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/78is1r/complete_disable_of_discrete_gpu/
now, battery is good, suspend/resume is good. laptop is good and I am good.
Comments
Post a Comment